Royal Nepal Army Officers Kukri (possibly Rana family officer)
late 19th-early 20th century
A historically rich Kukri of the Royal Nepal Army, as issued and used in the late 1860`s-1920´s.
Marked with Sun and Lion on each side of the blade.
Bhojpure style blade and a carved Chinte dragon-lion head image on the dark horn handle
, a image of mythical origins and based on the Buddhist-Hindu traditions.
A Officers Kukri during the Rana Era, most likely specific to a regiment or a clan of people, i.e the Rana family.
Overall 17 inch long, Blade 13 inch long, Belly 2.4 inch wide, spine 0,28 inches at thickest point.
weighs at 18+oz,
Gurkha Antiquess & SirKukri`s research over the past years along with some visits to Nepal can conclude the following.
1. Rana era made, 1846-1951, and particular the time of 1860-1890.
2. Several of these lion marked ones were owned by Jung Bahadur Ranas (JBR) family, his sons and grandsons in particular stand out with lion motived kukris but also found among the Shamsher branch (JBR brother Dhir`s descendants.)
3. Other similar pieces as far as overall design go were used at least until end of ww1.
4. The lion was also commonly used in the Royal Nepal Army in the 1800`s.
some nepalese guns too show up with lion images.
5. The sun denotes the Rana family`s heritage from the Sun dynasty according to the Hindu belief, surya-vanshi.
Ca 15 of these Sun and Lion marked Kukri knifes are known to exist outside of Nepal making them very rare and thus also a highly sought after piece.
Please see our other listings of awesome and dreamlike Kukri (Khukuri) knifes.
"Officers Cresent Moon stamped All steel, Damascus Kukri."
More info to follow.
"The Hanshee / Lambendh Gorkhali Kukri of the 18th & 19th Century."
more info to follow. VERY RARE.
"Royal Nepal Army Officers Lion & Sun marked Kukri."
More info to follow
"Gurkha Rifles Officers Crescent Moon Armoury Kukri."
More info to folloe. Very RARE stamps/marks.
"Royal Nepal Maharajah Kothimora with Coat of Arms."
Extremaly RARE Royal Kukri knifes on sale in Januari 2015.
Please email for more info.
"Royal Nepal Army
Officer`s Khanda Sword."
Ex-Officers Issued Parade Sword of the Royal Nepal Army.
More info to follow.
Several items are only found in the menu above, so please click and see the wonders of the world!
Unlisted items from the Gurkha lands of Nepal, India and the Himalayas to be added over Fall 2014- Winter 2015.
Khukuri / Kukri, Swords, Military Rank Slides, Insignia, Belt Buckles, Medals, Orders and much more.
Drop a email if you can not wait to enquire.
Or have a preview on the right:-)